CEE: First signs of calm but still too early to fade the sell-off – ING

Source Fxstreet

Yesterday's trading brought the first signs of calm in the CEE region. However, the EM space still remains under pressure and therefore it is too early to turn more optimistic on the region. Today the main focus will of course be on US data and the geopolitical situation and we prefer to wait for Monday to see developments over the weekend in the Middle East. However, as we've mentioned before, CEE currency fundamentals support a quick recovery if the situation calms down, ING’s FX strategist Frantisek Taborsky notes.

EM space still remains under pressure

“The Polish zloty should be the most defensive currency in the region amid the risk-off sentiment and should also have the easiest path to start appreciating again. Although we believe nothing changes that, yesterday's National Bank of Poland press conference altered the picture slightly. The governor surprised with another dovish move and confirmed that the first half of next year is the time for rate cuts.”

“Although we see current market pricing as still very dovish, given the spike in rates in recent days it has not been hard for the market to price back some rate cuts. However, the result has been a deterioration in rate differentials while the rest of CEE remains at record highs. At the same time, EUR/CZK yesterday was the first pair within the CEE3 to find some ground, but EUR/HUF also bounced off 402 and EUR/PLN rejected 4.310.”

“Overall though, we are hardly looking for confirmation that the situation has calmed down and today may reveal more as to the right time to turn more positive.”

Disclaimer: For information purposes only. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
placeholder
Gold posts first weekly gain in three weeks — can $4,200 hold through CPI?Spot gold closed at $4,194.645, up 1.47% — its first weekly gain in three weeks — and COMEX futures settled back above $4,200 at $4,220.30. Here are the drivers, the levels and the scenarios into Wednesday's CPI.
Author  Irene Q.
Yesterday 05: 48
Spot gold closed at $4,194.645, up 1.47% — its first weekly gain in three weeks — and COMEX futures settled back above $4,200 at $4,220.30. Here are the drivers, the levels and the scenarios into Wednesday's CPI.
placeholder
US September CPI preview: inflation set to hit 3.7% — will the Fed hike in December?US September CPI lands Wednesday with headline inflation seen at 3.7% y/y and core at 0.2% m/m. December hike odds sit near 70% — here are the scenarios, the calendar and the key levels.
Author  Irene Q.
Yesterday 03: 23
US September CPI lands Wednesday with headline inflation seen at 3.7% y/y and core at 0.2% m/m. December hike odds sit near 70% — here are the scenarios, the calendar and the key levels.
placeholder
Gold Price Forecast: Gold Rebounds Above $4,200, Can Falling Oil Prices Drive Another Rally?As of Friday (October 9), gold prices (XAUUSD) rebounded noticeably after consecutive declines. During today's Asian session, gold prices briefly rebounded above $4,200, reaching an intra
Author  TradingKey
Oct 09, Fri
As of Friday (October 9), gold prices (XAUUSD) rebounded noticeably after consecutive declines. During today's Asian session, gold prices briefly rebounded above $4,200, reaching an intra
placeholder
Hurricane Isaias has shut in a quarter of Gulf oil output — can WTI clear $92 before Thursday's EIA report?WTI trades at $90.80 after rebounding roughly 3% from Wednesday's $87.96 low as Hurricane Isaias — the Atlantic season's first — forces producers to shut in about 25% of US Gulf of Mexico output. Brent holds at $103.41. The first official read on the disruption arrives with the EIA weekly petroleum report on Thursday 15 October — here are the key levels and both scenarios.
Author  Irene Q.
Oct 09, Fri
WTI trades at $90.80 after rebounding roughly 3% from Wednesday's $87.96 low as Hurricane Isaias — the Atlantic season's first — forces producers to shut in about 25% of US Gulf of Mexico output. Brent holds at $103.41. The first official read on the disruption arrives with the EIA weekly petroleum report on Thursday 15 October — here are the key levels and both scenarios.
placeholder
【Daily Brief】Gold rebounds 1% off a two-month low, Nasdaq drops 1.25% and yields ease — the storm premium keeps WTI near $91Gold trades at $4,174 after rebounding from Wednesday's $4,090 two-month low, the Nasdaq fell 1.25% while the Dow edged higher, and the 10-year Treasury eased to 5.23% from the week's highs. Hurricane Isaias keeps about 25% of Gulf output shut in with WTI near $91, and bitcoin holds below $82,000. The next scheduled tests are the EIA report on 15 October and the FOMC on 27-28 October.
Author  Irene Q.
Oct 09, Fri
Gold trades at $4,174 after rebounding from Wednesday's $4,090 two-month low, the Nasdaq fell 1.25% while the Dow edged higher, and the 10-year Treasury eased to 5.23% from the week's highs. Hurricane Isaias keeps about 25% of Gulf output shut in with WTI near $91, and bitcoin holds below $82,000. The next scheduled tests are the EIA report on 15 October and the FOMC on 27-28 October.
Related Instrument
goTop
quote