NZD/USD: Likely to test 0.5940 in short-term – UOB Group

Source Fxstreet

As long as 0.6005 is not breached, the New Zealand Dollar (NZD) could decline further. Impulsive momentum suggests further NZD weakness, but conditions are severely oversold, and it remains to be seen if it can break below 0.5940, UOB Group FX analysts Quek Ser Leang and Lee Sue Ann notes.

A break below 0.5940 is possible

24-HOUR VIEW: “We expected NZD to trade sideways yesterday. Our view was incorrect. Instead of trading sideways, NZD plummeted and closed lower by 0.49% (0.5980). The sharp and swift drop appears to be overdone, but as long as 0.6005 (minor resistance is at 0.5995) is not breached, NZD could decline further. However, any decline is unlikely to reach 0.5940 (there is another support level at 0.5960).”

1-3 WEEKS VIEW: “Last Wednesday (17 Jul), when NZD was trading at 0.6070, we highlighted that ‘downward momentum is building, but not sufficiently enough to suggest the start of a sustained decline.’ After NZD fell sharply on Friday, we indicated yesterday (22 Jul, spot at 0.6025) that ‘as long as 0.6070 (‘strong resistance’ level) is not breached, there is room for NZD to drop to and possibly below 0.6005.’ We added, ‘Looking ahead, the next support below 0.6005 is at 0.5980.’ While our view of NZD declining was correct, we did not quite anticipate the manner in which it plunged to 0.5972 in NY trading. While the impulsive downward momentum suggests further NZD weakness, conditions are severely oversold, and it remains to be seen if NZD can break the next support at 0.5940. On the upside, the ‘strong resistance’ level has moved lower to 0.6030 from 0.6070.”

Disclaimer: For information purposes only. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
placeholder
Gold posts first weekly gain in three weeks — can $4,200 hold through CPI?Spot gold closed at $4,194.645, up 1.47% — its first weekly gain in three weeks — and COMEX futures settled back above $4,200 at $4,220.30. Here are the drivers, the levels and the scenarios into Wednesday's CPI.
Author  Irene Q.
Yesterday 05: 48
Spot gold closed at $4,194.645, up 1.47% — its first weekly gain in three weeks — and COMEX futures settled back above $4,200 at $4,220.30. Here are the drivers, the levels and the scenarios into Wednesday's CPI.
placeholder
US September CPI preview: inflation set to hit 3.7% — will the Fed hike in December?US September CPI lands Wednesday with headline inflation seen at 3.7% y/y and core at 0.2% m/m. December hike odds sit near 70% — here are the scenarios, the calendar and the key levels.
Author  Irene Q.
Yesterday 03: 23
US September CPI lands Wednesday with headline inflation seen at 3.7% y/y and core at 0.2% m/m. December hike odds sit near 70% — here are the scenarios, the calendar and the key levels.
placeholder
Gold Price Forecast: Gold Rebounds Above $4,200, Can Falling Oil Prices Drive Another Rally?As of Friday (October 9), gold prices (XAUUSD) rebounded noticeably after consecutive declines. During today's Asian session, gold prices briefly rebounded above $4,200, reaching an intra
Author  TradingKey
Oct 09, Fri
As of Friday (October 9), gold prices (XAUUSD) rebounded noticeably after consecutive declines. During today's Asian session, gold prices briefly rebounded above $4,200, reaching an intra
placeholder
Hurricane Isaias has shut in a quarter of Gulf oil output — can WTI clear $92 before Thursday's EIA report?WTI trades at $90.80 after rebounding roughly 3% from Wednesday's $87.96 low as Hurricane Isaias — the Atlantic season's first — forces producers to shut in about 25% of US Gulf of Mexico output. Brent holds at $103.41. The first official read on the disruption arrives with the EIA weekly petroleum report on Thursday 15 October — here are the key levels and both scenarios.
Author  Irene Q.
Oct 09, Fri
WTI trades at $90.80 after rebounding roughly 3% from Wednesday's $87.96 low as Hurricane Isaias — the Atlantic season's first — forces producers to shut in about 25% of US Gulf of Mexico output. Brent holds at $103.41. The first official read on the disruption arrives with the EIA weekly petroleum report on Thursday 15 October — here are the key levels and both scenarios.
placeholder
【Daily Brief】Gold rebounds 1% off a two-month low, Nasdaq drops 1.25% and yields ease — the storm premium keeps WTI near $91Gold trades at $4,174 after rebounding from Wednesday's $4,090 two-month low, the Nasdaq fell 1.25% while the Dow edged higher, and the 10-year Treasury eased to 5.23% from the week's highs. Hurricane Isaias keeps about 25% of Gulf output shut in with WTI near $91, and bitcoin holds below $82,000. The next scheduled tests are the EIA report on 15 October and the FOMC on 27-28 October.
Author  Irene Q.
Oct 09, Fri
Gold trades at $4,174 after rebounding from Wednesday's $4,090 two-month low, the Nasdaq fell 1.25% while the Dow edged higher, and the 10-year Treasury eased to 5.23% from the week's highs. Hurricane Isaias keeps about 25% of Gulf output shut in with WTI near $91, and bitcoin holds below $82,000. The next scheduled tests are the EIA report on 15 October and the FOMC on 27-28 October.
Related Instrument
goTop
quote